Se Cathedral is conveniently located 9 kilometres from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and is famed to be one of the most magnificent churches in Asia. This church is located in Old Goa, opposite to Basilica of Bom Jesus, another major place of tourist interest of Goa. The beautiful Se Cathedral has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and thereby occupies a special position of admiration and awe. The Se Cathedral has been dedicated to St. Catherine and it is undoubtedly one of the oldest and the most celebrated religious buildings in Goa. This church is the famed seat of Archdiocese of Goa. History tells the tale of Alfonso Albuquerque who had defeated the Muslim army on the auspicious day of feast of St. Catherine of Alexandria and came to occupy Goa in 1510. The construction of the church is said to have started in 1562 while King Dom Sebastiao was in rule and was eventually finished in 1619. The main altars took several more years, till 1652, to get completed and finally the church was consecrated in 1640. After a long 80 years it was finally built. This church is also known as St. Catherine’s Cathedral.
It has the attributes of Portuguese-Gothic style of architecture. The exterior has Tuscan influence while the interior has distinct Corinthian traits. The altars, 15 in number, are dedicated to Our Lady of Three Needs, Our Lady of Anguish or Our Lady of Hope. The very ornamental grand has been dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria and has her life depicted through the carvings.