Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception
Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is approximately 1.5 kilometres from Panjim. It is one of the most famous churches in Goa and forms a major tourist attraction. This church is one of the oldest churches in Goa built way back in the year 1541. The architectural details of Praca de Flores or the Square of Flowers was constructed in 1843. This Church is built on the hillside high above the Idalco Palace that was constructed by Adil Shah. The church gallery offer a beautiful panoramic view of the entire Panjim city. The church significantly has simple interiors and is provided with a couple of altars. The main altar of the church is dedicated to Lady Mary Immaculate. Jesus in his crucifix is kept on the left and to the right stands Our Lady of the Rosary. Also statues of St. Paul and St. Peter adorn the positions beside the altars. There is also to be found St. Xavier’s Chapel as an added interest.
The great bell that hangs from the Church of Mary Immaculate Conception forms the second largest church bell in Goa. The largest one is to be found in Se Cathedral of Old Goa. This was brought from St. Augustine Church of Old Goa in the year 1871 when Panaji was formed as the capital of Goa. The feast of the Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church is the grandest celebration performed in this church and falls on the 8th of December each year. During this time, the church is majestically adorned with bright lights and the entire church premises come alive with various activities. This church is notable for being a favourite film shooting destination.